Saturday 3 November 2007

Copacabana, Bolivia

I met up with some gringos for beer and grub. Half of them spoke first grade Spanish and the other half are enlightened enough to undertake Spanish lessons.

I have to say that my Spanish, such as it is, has always gotten me at least edible food and accomodation in places where there are not too many skid marks on the sheets. Honestly, what more could I want... ( a kind word, a warm bed, ultimate power?) Enlightenment is probably over rated anyway. With these arguments I have convinced myself that I have no need to study spanish any further.

When I stated these arguments to my table, I got a tongue lashing off a FT (Fellow Traveller) for being narrow minded, as he insisted it was great to be able to relate to the locals. He even gave me an example of a conversation that he had with a local about how lots of children die on the Isla del Sol, because they run off the edge of the cliff and drown in Lake Titicaca.

I don't understand why they can´t just tie their kids to a chair?

No comments: