Saturday 29 September 2007

Leaving Ecuador, arriving Peru

I spent the last of my days in Ecuador, in Guayaquil. Not too much to say about the place, other than despite what the guide books tell you, there aren´t English book shops in the city. I spent most of my time playing with the kids in the iguana park or chatting to the oldies on park benches, seemed they were the only strata of the population that had the patience to wait for me to string a sentence or 2 of Spanish together. And the corollary, they spoke slowly enough for me to catch the gist of the conversation.

Thoroughly unenchanted by the place I left for the Airport early, about 6 hours early.

And I found the holy grail...I was meandering in the airport at Guayaquil, and there it was. I think I even heard angels sing. An english copy of Good House Keeping. (Of it`s self, not that interesting, but where there is an english version of GHK, there are other english magazines...I may not be Michael Palin, but I am the urban Bear Grylls!)

Anyway, I blew the budget on Newsweek, Cosmo and National Geographic... And then managed to find The Economist at Lima airport. Anyway, looks like we are all doomed,and that Hilary is going to be president, the 2 things may or may not be related.

No comments: