Friday 25 January 2008

I curse you, Mr.Manilow (with respect, of course)

Whilst strolling the black and white paving that runs the sweep of Copacabana beach I was pondering two things on and off. The first was whether Clinton's sobs would hurt or improve her chances of becoming the first ever female president of the 'most powerful nation in the world'. Or would it make no difference at all. I read an editorial that suggested that 'tears only work in relationships, not on campaign trails' and I am inclined to disagree, on the basis that I have avoided at least two speeding fines with a few forced tears and a few superbly executed sniffs.

But not wanting to debate semantics, and do take the point that unless your audience actually gives more than a tuppence about you, your plight or your feelings, it is unlikely, in the extreme, that you are going to appeal to them. This is a fundamental truth of life and why crying doesn't work on campaign trails and sometimes it doesn't work in relationships either. Simply put, the people who you seduce will forgive you and love you and those who could not care if you fell into a manhole and were carried away by a tide of sewage- won't. Regardless of what you do.

Which brings me to my second, somewhat incongruous thought, which is that having arrived in Copacabana I hadn't stopped playing that song in my head. Thanks Barry.

No comments: